Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Killing Time: The Corpus Christi Jazz Festival

.
The Jazz Festival has come and gone, but I stopped by for a few hours. There were tons of people, which is always a welcome thing, though I hardly knew anyone. I recognized one person from high school, just a familiar face, and that was it. There were the usual food and informational stands, but it was easy to pass all of that. I'd brought Raisin along for the fun, so we wandered from tent to tent looking at all the bands and listening to the sounds.
.
The first thing I did was catch the last few songs of a fantastic Tex-Mex-Jazz band. Such good music! These guys were out of Houston and really had the audience going. Unfortunately for them, the announcer at the end was hardly intelligible. I couldn't understand what the band's name was. I wanted to find out from one of the pamphlets that were floating around, but a new one costed five bucks! I suppose I could've asked someone, but I soon lost interest in finding out.
.
Wandering around with Raisin, I was surprised by how many people pointed and smiled. Raisin had fans! She's small and cute, of course, but the amount of attention she got was unreal. Perhaps a dozen and a half people, mostly women, tugged on their spouse's/partner's arm and pointed at Raisin while we passed. Crazy.
.
The musician above was from the second band I visited. While the announcer of this band was perfectly understandable, I forgot to write the name down. There were about five men, and the last song they did was a long John Coltrane number. I closed my eyes a few times and just enjoyed the rhythms. Again, a real polished performance.
.
Finally, Raisin and I were tired of walking around. I found a grassy knoll, and we sat and chilled. A military group got up and blasted the night away. They were enjoyable, but my mind was elsewhere, far from the festival and the people and all the lights. It was just one of those moments in which it's easy to slide away.
.
Happy 50th Anniversary to the CC Jazz Festival! This was an all-around good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment